Friday, August 21, 2009

Going back...


Some friends - specially in the Philippines - think I that I was nuts for thinking of going back to the Philippines. Well, I'm no longer thinking, I'm coming back for real. Maybe I'm nuts, maybe my friends cared so much about me and my family that they think we're losing opportunities, securities, and all other good stuff.


Philippines is a lot less greener than the U.S. - I'm very much aware of that, I was born and raised in the Philippines. But being away for twenty years, having seen different places, cultures, I've learn a lot, and so, I started to think of contributing what I've learn and maybe make a difference. There's one side of me that wants to do something, of course not on a grand scale, but maybe a little caring can go a long way. I stumbled upon a poem a long time ago that keeps knocking on my head:


Little drops of water

Little grains of sand

Make the mighty oceans

And the pleasant land


And so the little minutes

Humble though they be

Make the mighty ages

Of eternity


This is not an easy road, the security and abundance of a greener pastures are enough to make me think twice about my intentions. And if you look at the despair of the people and the dilemma of the country that I chose to come back to -which seemed to be on the suicidal mode- makes you wonder what's really going on in my coconut.


I'm not trying to be a hero nor I've been waiting for a chance to be one. But there's a fire inside me, or a conscience-if you will - that compels me to do something, and I can't really go on living my life without answering this call. Some call it midlife crisis, but it's been with me for the past ten years.


Now I have to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment